Family System Theories

This week in class has been very interesting for me. We learned about and discussed Family System Theories. Family System Theories attempt to get an understanding of how people work together (or maybe do not work together) within a family. There were four theories that we discussed: Exchange Theory, Symbolic Interaction Theory, Conflict Theory, and Systems Theory. Of the four, there were two that I really enjoyed talking about in class and getting insights from others, Symbolic Interaction Theory and Systems Theory.

Symbolic Interaction Theory is mostly to me about interpretation. We all talk and interact with each other in diverse ways, but the way that we interpret what somebody else says or does becomes reality to us. Somebody may give you a look that, to you, is rude and demeaning, but for them, they may not have even realized they were looking at you, and they were just having an off day. It was interesting to learn that so much more of our interactions with each other actually come from our expressions or our body language than the words we speak. Everything we do is a symbol, hence why it is called Symbolic Interaction Theory.

Systems Theory was very interesting to me as well because it is about how each family is a system, and every member of the family plays a specific role. Roles can change in certain situations like a death or injury or even because of changing family dynamics like a new baby or a step parent being added to the equation. I can see how this would help to understand families a little bit better because I can see different roles I have played in my family. I am a daughter and sister, but I have also, at times, been the peacemaker or the role model. I can also see times when I may have played roles that were not so pleasant like annoying younger sister. In some families, it can become problematic when someone refuses to take on the role they should.

I will use an example that seems to be getting more and more prevalent in our society today, fatherless homes. While this can work, and mothers can then take on the roles that the father left behind, father, protector, breadwinner, etcetera, it will usually be much more difficult. Without that one role being filled by another person, this single mother then must take on many more roles, or sometimes a son or daughter might even be forced to put in much more work to help his/her family make ends meet. This can be much more strenuous on a family, so you can see how this might cause problems. It really in so interesting to me, though, to see how families work in systems. This theory stands out to me the most in explaining certain circumstances and attitudes of family members. The other theories can also explain certain phenomena in a family, but this one is my favorite.


I enjoy studying these things because I feel that I am learning much more about myself and my family. I am also learning about things I want to implement into my future home to help it function better and more fully. I am excited to continue learning more and sharing with you here. It will be fun throughout the semester. Thank you for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dating and the RAM

Gaining Understanding

Introducing Me!